They’re beautiful and a sure sign of spring—but lilies can be deadly to cats, and they’re not the only spring dangers you should be aware of if you have companion animals:
- Grow your garden with care. Fertilizers, insecticides and herbicides can have ingredients that can make your pet very sick if they’re ingested. Also, many popular spring-blooming plants, such as rhododendron and azalea, are highly toxic to pets—check out this list of poisonous plants to avoid in your home and garden if possible.
- Doing some spring cleaning? Keep all cleaners and chemicals—especially ones with chlorine and ammonia—far away from pets. Even “all-natural” cleaners contain chemicals that may be harmful to animals. You can visit the ASPCA’s Poisonous Household Products page for more information.
- “Bee” aware. Bees and other insects are on the move in spring and if your pet is stung, you’ll want to know what to do. Look for a stinger and remove if possible. You’ll also want to reduce swelling, which you can do with a paste of baking soda and water. Check with your vet about administering an antihistamine to stave off an allergic reaction.
- And about those lilies: whether they are of the Easter, Asiatic, tiger, day, or peace variety, they should be kept out of your home, especially if you have cats. Should a feline eat any part of these plants, they could die of kidney failure. In fact, as little as two leaves could be fatal if left untreated. If you suspect your cat has ingested some of this plant, contact us immediately.
It’s also a good idea to have the Pet Poison Helpline bookmarked—they are available 24/7 for any additional questions or expert help. They also maintain an updated pet poison list for more detailed information.
Have more questions or want to schedule an appointment? Give us a call at (704) 662-8586!